[IP] RE: prevalence of Type 1 diabetes in adults and children

 A cursory scan of articles on Type 1 diabetes in adults shows several
significant studies/articles indicating that beginning intensive insulin therapy
in adults newly diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes preserves beta cell function.
Bernie Zinman, one of the DCCT researchers, told me that all of the DCCT
participants who were diagnosed as adults had some residual beta cell
functioning. A conclusion of the DCCT: "Intensive therapy for type 1 diabetes
helps sustain endogenous insulin secretion, which, in turn, is associated with
better metabolic control and lower risk for hypoglycemia and chronic
complications. These observations underscore the importance of initiating
intensive diabetic management as early as safely possible after type 1 diabetes
is diagnosed"( www.annals.org/cgi/content/full/128/7/517). Another article (
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/content/full/25/9/1662) states, "Earlier
treatment of diabetes with insulin may improve their quality of life, thus pote!
  ntially saving beta cell function and perhaps lessening the risk of long-term
microvascular complications."

 I completely agree with Scott that another serious problem is giving the same
name to two completely different diseases (Type 1 diabetes and Type 2 diabetes).
But I also think it is very important to acknowledge the full spectrum of those
impacted by Type 1 diabetes, including adults who make up the majority of people
with Type 1 autoimmune diabetes.