[IP] prevalence of Type 1 diabetes in adults and children

 Yes, in recent years Type 1 diabetes has been seen in younger and younger
children. But the increase in Type 1 autoimmune diabetes is being seen worldwide
across ALL age groups, not just very young children. And yes, the CDC says that
most Type 1 diabetics are diagnosed as children or young adults, but they
consider young adult up to age 40, and they also acknowledge that that group
does not include those with LADA (latent autoimmune diabetes in adults, defined
by NIDDK to mean a condition in which Type 1 diabetes develops in adults). And
no, a sampling of 1000 insulin pumpers on Insulin-Pumpers.org does not define an
average age of diagnosisbut antibody testing of tens of thousands of people can
be used to extrapolate an average age of diagnosis. Markers of the immune
destruction of the beta-cell include islet cell autoantibodies (ICAs),
autoantibodies to insulin (IAAs), autoantobodies to glutamic acid decarboxylase
(GAD 65), and autoantibodies to tyrosine phophata!
  ses IA-2 and IA-2beta. According to John Walsh, author of Pumping Insulin
and Using Insulin, about 10% of all diabetics have classical Type 1 diabetes
and about 15% of all diabetics have LADA. The CDCs numbers indicate that of the
30,000 people newly diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes each year, 17,000 (56%) are
adults, and those numbers do not include newly diagnosed people with LADA.

 That Type 1 autoimmune diabetes is a disease that predominantly strikes
children is just a myth. The vast majority of people who acquire Type 1
autoimmune diabetes are adults. Why does it matter that the myth be exposed?
Because those of us who are diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes as adults (or
misdiagnosed as having Type 2) are often given inappropriate treatment. I was
one of themhospitalized in DKA at age 35, but the next morning I was taken off
of insulin and released from the hospital. The next week of my life was hell,
until I insisted that I be put on exogenous insulin. I had acute-onset Type 1
diabetes, but initially was not given appropriate treatment for the disease I
had. I know so many people who have had similar experiences, and that causes
needless suffering.

 ALL people who acquire Type 1 diabetes should be put on exogenous insulin as
early as possible, to control glucose levels, prevent further destruction of
residual beta cells, and reduce the possibility of diabetic complications.

 It is important that the medical community, including the JDRF, recognize the
true scope of Type 1 diabetes, which includes adults who have late-onset Type 1
and adults who have LADA. Misdiagnosis results in needless suffering, including
hastening the development of diabetic complications. Antibody testing may be
somewhat expensive, but it does identify those who have autoimmune diabetes and
is cheap when compared with the high cost of complications.

From: email @ redacted
> Subject: [IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V8 #652
>
> In a message dated 1/11/2005 5:36:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> email @ redacted writes:
 > Type 1 diabetes is not a reportable disease so the figures that the CDC gives
are guesses - and probably not very good guesses at that. I do not believe that
more adults are diagnosed with type 1 every year than> children. If you talk to
experts in the field, most will say that type 1 is developing at younger and
younger ages than in the past and that more children are being diagnosed. The
CDC's National Diabetes Fact Sheet states that "this form of diabetes usually
strikes children and young adults."

> Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:05:22 -0800
> From: "Michael" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] age at diagnosis
>

> All ya gotta do is look at the graph at:
>
> http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/about.shtml#agedx
>
> If you consider a child to be someone 18 or younger (or you pick an
> age), just compare the area under the curves for the groups above and
> below the "number". Most people are dx'd as children. With almost a
> thousand samples, this is pretty good data.
>
 > BTW, if you have not added your information to this data, CLICK on the
Insulin Pumpers Information Form button right under the US map.