[IP] losing weight the diabetic way

I am new to this site.  I've had diabetes since 1971 and been on a Minimed
Paradigm pump since 2002 (511? 512? can't remember the model number and too
lazy to look).

I am having the hardest time losing weight!  I exercise regularly and try to
eat sensibly, but trying to lose weight is like pulling teeth.  I have a
friend on a pump and she turns the basal rate down to 0 two hours before she
exercises to keep her blood sugars up while working out.  Any thoughts on
this?  The thought of going to 0 scares me.  On the other hand, I remove my
pump during aerobics and carb load (which defeats the purpose of dieting).

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Karen