Re: [IP] New Disetronic pump

At 11:23 PM -0500 1/10/05, Bruce Felstein wrote:
>Technically speaking IR is a form of RF just on a different
>frequency band.  So they could get by saying that they are using RF
>for transmission and not be wrong, although most engineering types
>would tend to disagree with them.  The Accu-Chek Compact transfers
>via Infra-Red as do most Palm and Pocket PC computers.  So we seem
>to have some anomolies here
>Bruce

I'm really not all that "technically" knowledgeable, and I agree that
IR can be shown on the same chart of frequencies as Radio, just as
Xray, Ultraviolet and Gamma can be:

        http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/allochrt.pdf

However IR is beyond the Radio Spectrum.  Further, there is a great
distinction between the Radio Spectrum and IR in that there must be a
"line of sight" for IR to be used. On the Minimed Paradigm site they
make the statement:

"RF technology uses radio waves to "beam" information instead of
light waves like infrared (IR) technology"

I think it is important that we not add to any confusion between the
products.  From what I have read, the Disetronic Spirit will
communicate with IR and not RF.   If I am mistaken, please post a
reference to correct this.     :>)

George