Re: [IP] Out of control

>  Amy wrote:
> <snip> I know a diabetic who has been in "perfect" control for
> 30 years now. She has never cheated and counts every morsel
> of food. I don't know how she has done it for so long.

Thirty years ago would have been 1975. Very few people did home BG tests
yet and A1c's were not common. Carb counting didn't come about until
around '94, besides there are hidden carbs in a lot of foods which are
not revealed and cause wacky BGs (H/L) if we leave our homes to eat in a
restaurant or at friends'. Many people have told me how I have taken
wonderful care of myself, yet I lived with me and *know* me better than
they did/do. It may *appear* this person has perfect control, but truth
be known I would suppose she would get depressed seeing a number out of
range, etc. once in awhile. Nobody is perfect. Perfect is without flaws.

Has this person said she has had perfect control, or is this the
perception and in actuality she has not? Please don't lay a guilt-trip
on yourself trying for something that is an illusive dream. Personally,
if someone told me they have had perfect control for 30 yrs I might have
a wonderful death by dying laughing. YMMV

I personally know twins who got T-1 at 6 & 6.5 (1935) who didn't cheat
or they would tell on each other. For years they followed the Percentage
Diet, then on the Exchange System, and just recently one started carb
counting. I taught one of them to do home BGs in 1982, she later taught
her twin. They were doing the best they could with the present-day tools
at the time, but one died last June. She was a double amputee, so blind
she could not see to give permission for me to print her picture in my
soon-to-be released book (her sis signed for both), and on dialysis. The
remaining twin is doing quite well. Perfect control? No! She also just
recently started using Humalog for meals.

Oh, is this person in discussion a Type 1 or Type 2? There are too many
variables in life to get perfect control. If she means staying out of
the hospital those 30 yrs, I'll accept that as I have, too, except for
surgeries - since 1964.

Jan (47 y/o if you don't count the weekends), dx'd T-1 11/5/50, pmpg
8/23/83) & Bluda II (MM508 8/31/04)
Dialyzing since 7/8/02 http://maxpages.com/bludasue -
http://www.picturetrail.com/dmBASHpics (and EVOLUTION OF INSULIN PUMPS
with World's Youngest Pumper)

"Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong,
because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and to move
forward with your life." - Dr. David Burns, Psychiatrist and Author

P.S. Any replies, PLEASE <snip> to relevant parts.