Re: [IP] Off the wagon. Struggling for control

On Monday, January 10, 2005, email @ redacted wrote:

>  I should have been
> walking the dog...but haven't

well, i was out walking the dog today, and i'm sitting here now waiting
for my pain pill to kick in.  i fell, broke left wrist and big toe.
the wrist had to be very painfully reduced into a normal position, in
the hopes that it won't need surgery.

See where exercising gets you? <gr.>

Since it is still painful to do anything at all with the fingers on
that hand, i have been further perfecting my one-handed bg testing,
finding that pressing against the edge of the table works more
precisely than my teeth in getting the blood flowing after lanceting,
though the teeth are still best for priming the lancet.  the teeth
technique had been developed after the surgery 3 weeks ago on what is
now my good hand.

And i'm afraid the toe is going to interfere with my every day walks --
actually, no kind of exercise is coming to mind as a good possibility
for a while -- any suggestions?  luckily, i am all set up already with
food and techniques i can do one-handed.

In my 50 years of diabetes, i, too, have been on and off that wagon
many, many times.  i think as a younger person, i was able to tolerate
abnormal bg much better than now, and my biggest motivation for getting
back on these days is knowing i will feel better the closer to normal
my bgs are.

Linda Z