[IP] 1 year pumping

Just realized that yesterday marked my first anniversary pumping.
After 35 + years with diabetes, complications mostly limited to
retinopathy and one stroke, I am thankful that treatment exists, and
grateful to those who struggled with those early pumps.  Cure?  Don't
think they even mentioned it when I was diagnosed, or probable
lifespan, either.  And they didn't know whether I was juvenile or
adult--I was 29 and fell in the crack.  When I didn't respond to oral
meds, they decided I was juvenile.  More recently, I've decided that
my dosage (TDD about 25 U--less than my weight would give on the
standard formula) and the rapidity with which my BG can climb if I
don't get that insulin confirms that I'm probably T 1.  My parents
were a couple of thousand miles away and I didn't even see them for a
year after I was diagnosed--I was too busy finishing up my PhD
dissertation.  I think now it was harder on them than I realized at
the time, but it never occurred to them or me to interrupt my studies.
--
Sue Ann Bowling, North Pole, Alaska