Re: [IP] understanding basals and bolus

> ok the newbie has yet another question. I have read the user guide for
> the pump the mm715 and I am still not 100% clear on bolus and basal I do
> understand basal is the insulin that is continually being jnjected and
> bolus is for meal times........... how do I know how much to bolus and
> all that and does basal rates increase I am not good on the insulin to
> carb ratio actually I have just been taught that and still having
> trouble with that.... even after being a diabetic for 13yrs none of my
> drs. ever explained the insulin to carb until this endo who started me
> on the pump granted its only saline now but come Tuesday its insulin
> ............. can I expect highs or lows when first put on the pump?I am
> sure i will be asking more and more questions but I do need help with
> the basal bolus please and thanks. All of the other info all the pumpers
> has given to me has been awesome and very helpful. Thank you for that
> ........ :)   Dawn
>
> .

There are two good sources of information for this.

John Walsh's book "Pumping Insulin" available from Amazon.
see the books page of the web site at:

http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/books.shtml

The second source is the HOWTO pages of the Insulin Pumpers web site
where there are descriptions of how to figure out various ratios, basal
profile, etc.... there is also a tool to simulate basal adjustments and
what they might do to blood sugar levels.

http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/howto.shtml