Re: [IP] understanding basals and bolus

 You should have a insulin to carb ratio ( 1 unit insulin for every xx carbs
eaten .... mine is 1:30 if I eat 90 grams of carbs I take 3 units of
insulin...... some of the SA'S can look at a plate of food and tell the number
of carbs....... I will guess at it and bolus then about 3 hrs later test and do
the correction bolus (correction bolus (Uh Oh) is what 1 unit of insulin will
lower your glucose level, ' 1 unit of insulin will drop my glucose by 100 mg/dl.
Your doctor or CDE will figure out the settings that give something to shoot at
and they can be adjusted later.
don

dawn R <email @ redacted> wrote:
ok the newbie has yet another question. I have read the user guide for
the pump the mm715 and I am still not 100% clear on bolus and basal I do
understand basal is the insulin that is continually being jnjected and
bolus is for meal times........... how do I know how much to bolus and
all that and does basal rates increase I am not good on the insulin to
carb ratio actually I have just been taught that and still having trouble
with that.... even after being a diabetic for 13yrs none of my drs. ever
explained the insulin to carb until this endo who started me on the pump
granted its only saline now but come Tuesday its insulin .............
can I expect highs or lows when first put on the pump?I am sure i will be
asking more and more questions but I do need help with the basal bolus
please and thanks. All of the other info all the pumpers has given to me
has been awesome and very helpful. Thank you for that ........ :) Dawn