RE: [IP] Unrealistic expectations?

>Unfortunately nothing beats a real pancreas. I think that a lot (not all)
>experience these on occasion. When is she experiencing these highs and lows.
>Maybe narrowing down a bit more might help.
>
>jimb

This is one of the few things that annoys me about Walsh's book,
Pumping Insulin.  On page 30 he states that "'Brittle' diabetes is
just an easy name for incorrect dosing or variable insulin action.
This instability occurs only when insulin is being given in the wrong
amount or at the wrong time."
Literally this is true--but it needs the additional statement that
there is no way of delivering insulin that comes close to the
negative (stabilizing) feedback provided by a healthy pancreas.  The
insulin pump is about as good as it gets right now, but the feedback
through monitoring of blood sugar and food intake is nothing like as
good as that of a healthy pancreas, and a system without negative
feedback is inherently neutral to unstable.  I'm convinced that at
times I even have positive feedback (insulin doesn't seem as
effective when my blood sugar is high, and carbs don't absorb as fast
when it's low) which is really destabilizing.  I'd say "brittle"
diabetes is due to a lack of normal negative feedback.
--
Sue Ann Bowling, North Pole, Alaska