Re: [IP] 15 Year Study Shows Strong Link Between Fast Food, Obesity and Insul...

At 12:02 PM -0500 1/7/05, email @ redacted wrote:
>  >
>  >http://tinyurl.com/3msuu
>>
>  >>>>>>>

>I'm not sure it's rocket science that fast food isn't particularly healthful
>when eaten frequently, but I really hate these articles that say that one
>thing is twice as bad as another without givng the numbers.
>
>If one group went up 1 pt and the other group went up twice as much, 2 pts
>out of a possible 100,  what is the relative difference in risk?
>
>That's different, perhaps, from going from 1000 to 2000 out of 4000.  The
>second group is twice as high, and relative to the total, the increas is
>important.
>
>Numbers are manipulated a lot.  Also, who funded the study?
>
>Stacey

The bottom of the page says:

"This study of cardiovascular disease risk factor evolution included
3,031 young (age 18-30 years in 1985) African-American and white
adults whose frequency of fast-food visits, changes in body weight
and insulin resistance were monitored and measured for 15 years. This
was a multi-center, population-based study with study centers in
Birmingham, Ala., Chicago, Ill., Minneapolis, Minn., and Oakland,
Calif.

The study was funded by the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute
(NHLBI), the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney
Diseases (NIDDK), and the Charles H. Hood Foundation."

George