[IP] sleepovers and independence

I am also quite glad that Lauren will get to attend the sleepover!

I found myself feeling very overwhelmed by many of the parents' reactions on
the list to letting their children out of their sight or letting them spend
a night away from home.  I am not, however, a parent myself yet...so I don't
know how I would react in a situation like this.

I do want to give the perspective from someone who was never given the
message that being a diabetic would limit or inhibit me from doing something
I wanted to do. My father is also a Type 1 and wanted me to live as normal
of a life as possible.  Though my parents did their fair share of worrying,
tight control was not their number one concern, they wanted me to live a
normal life and gave me the tools I needed to handle emergencies - one of
which was a great deal of trust that at 10 years old I could manage the
disease myself and give my own shots, etc.  Because of these values and
confidence they instilled in me I have done some great things including
living and studying abroad both in high school and in college in Costa Rica,
Ecuador, Mexico and Spain. I feel like this mind-set of not feeling
inhibited by my diabetes also allowed me to fight to be accepted by the
Peace Corps in June of 2004.  My husband and I are currently serving as
Peace Corps volunteers in Bulgaria and having a wonderful experience.  Guess
how many Bulgarians I've already educated about Diabetes!?

I realize that being the parent is quite a different experience than being
the kid with D, but I can say that in my 18 years of living with it I would
have regretted missing sleepovers, camps, travelling, and being "normal"
much more than it ever was a problem to get up at night for some juice or
glucotabs without Mom to help me out.

Kate
dx. 1986, pmpg with Animas for 2.5 years.