RE: [IP] Unrealistic expectations?

Unfortunately nothing beats a real pancreas. I think that a lot (not all)
experience these on occasion. When is she experiencing these highs and lows.
Maybe narrowing down a bit more might help.

jimb

Hillary wrote:
Subject: [IP] Unrealistic expectations?

Phoebe's been pumping since September, 2004. Her numbers have definitely
improved, however she still experiences lows (60-70) and highs (180-270)
almost every day. No matter how I tweak the basal and the ratios, I
can't seem to achieve that perfect day. Am I being unrealistic in my
expectations? Are some highs and lows simply unavoidable? What are your
experiences? Her last A1C was 6.9; prior to that it was 6.8 on MDI.

Thanks.

Hilary (mom to Phoebe, dxd at the age of 8 in 3/04, pumping with Animas
1200 since 9/04)

ps Phoebe went to her first sleepover last week at a neighbor's. She
phoned home every 2 hours until bedtime. It felt good for her to do this
and I really appreciated the family who was willing to have her and to
learn what it takes to control her diabetes.
Sharon replied:
I have been pumping for 6 years now. I think my expectations have been good
the point that the period I had uncontrollable lows are nil. The bad thing
is
that my weight has gone down since pumping and is back to my pre-pump
weight.
I know the weight problem is my own issues with work and my own "don't feel
like going back out after work to work out attitude." Early morning workouts
are difficult too because I need to be here to get the kids ready for school
-
by the time that happens, I have to get my own self ready to go to work.
Pumping makes it easy to eat the things I want to eat. I need will power and
support from others not to give in to bolusing for food I do not need.
Overall
pumping has been better for me. The IP has been a strong point in my
insanity
of dealing with diabetes-a controlling force to my existence. I am coping
well
with the pump and that has been good. So on a 1 to 10 point scale-ten being
the best I grade pumping an 8 on most (90%) days and that is pretty darn
good.
Sharon B and Buckwheat