[IP] sleepovers

Caryn wrote:Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 13:57:03 -0800 (PST)
From: Caryn Lee <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] sleepovers

 Good news! My husband and I have agreed that we will let Lauren go to the
sleepover providing we work out a plan

1.  She has to call me at certain agreed upon times
 2. She will check her levels before she eats and we will agree what she
needs
to bolus
 3. I spoke to the mom and she told me that she will give me her private cell
phone number so Lauren doesn't have to know if I'm calling. My new name is
"Sarah" her best friends name.
 4. Lauren will call me before she turns in and when she wakes up. The mom
told
me she will check her at night and call me at home.

 Ok guys it's a go, now I just have to stay positive and upbeat. I understand
this is Lauren's disease but she is my baby no matter how old she is.

Thanks for all your help.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Caryn

Sharon replied:
Caryn it sounds like you have a good plan. Kids need to know that they are
safe and cared for and parents need to know that there kids are OK. That is a
job of parents and it sounds like you have all the ground covered. I am sure
that choices kids make are made early with the direction of parents-this helps
build children's self esteem. A child with diabetes has responsibilities
bestowed upon them but teaching them, as you said- my BG is this and I want to
eat this? would this be a good choice? these choices are good-it is the child
with diabetes choice. I know myself I need to make choices myself. Thanks for
writing because it helps me in practicing what I preach. I do need to get back
on track! Sharon B and Buckwheat