[IP] staying home alone

My son Michael insists that he is old enough to stay home by himself.   He is
only 10 years old so I know that I can't leave him alone.   This  however has
me thinking...at what age is it ok to leave a diabetic child alone  at home
to care for himself.  I have never thought of EVER leaving him  alone but the
older he gets, he wants to be more independent and wants to be  able to take
care of himself.  I would be scared to death to leave him  alone for fear of
 something happening. What do i do when he is 13 or 14, do I still leave him in
the care of a sitter?  He is good at handleing his  health but you never know
when something might happen.
Julie