Re: [IP] Unrealistic expectations?

>Phoebe's been pumping since September, 2004. Her numbers have definitely
>improved, however she still experiences lows (60-70) and highs (180-270)
>almost every day. No matter how I tweak the basal and the ratios, I
>can't seem to achieve that perfect day. Am I being unrealistic in my
>expectations? Are some highs and lows simply unavoidable?

Is the timing of these highs and lows predictable?  The biological
activity of infused or injected insulin rises at a different rate
(usually slower) than that of swallowed food.  A high a couple of
hours after a meal simply indicates that the glycemic index of the
food was high--the food hit the bloodstream before the insulin did.
A superbolus may help--the bolus is increased, but the basal is
temporarily reduced so that the total insulin dose is unchanged.  Or
reduce the glycemc index of the food eaten, though this may be
difficult.  Lows before meals may reflect the same process.  Also
note that lows in themselves may result in greater variability in
blood sugars afterward.
--
Sue Ann Bowling, North Pole, Alaska