[IP] Re: IOB calculation

 > Well, again this is clearly ymmv. For me lately, everytime I subtract the IOB
>from the food bolus, I go high. That's one reason why I just ordered
>the 515, so
>I can shorten the duration of the IOB from the 6 hours used by the 512. It
>sounds to me like maybe your basals are too high. My basals do
>change with time
>for no known reason, so that could be what's happening with you. It might be
>totally unrelated to the issue of subtracting the IOB. Just a thought. Pam

It probably is because my basal needs have decreased.  (I refuse to
label the probable underlying cause, loss of weight, a problem!)  I
just reduced overnight basals and am rechecking the morning basal
this morning--so far I'm dropping about 10 mg/dL an hour.  The point
is, the IOB is subtracted from the correction, and the food bolus
comes in only if the correction is negative--if you are below target.
This will rarely happen if you have food waiting for that insulin to
act on unless you have very slow digestion or have eaten something
with a strong pizza effect.  Maybe we need something in the setup
that allows a choice as to whether the IOB is subtracted from the
total bolus or only from the correction part.  With the current
algorithm there is a range of blood sugars from 70 to your target
(120 in my case) where the IOB is effectively ignored.
--
Sue Ann Bowling, North Pole, Alaska