Re: [IP] Re: Animas announces ezAccess

At 11:24 AM 1/3/2005, Pam Brown wrote:
>  You might be surprised about your insurance. I called mine the other day
> to ask
>if they'd pay for the upgrade to the MM515 and they said yes, providing I get
>the CPT code from Minimed and include it on the bill. They said that even if
>it's just a software upgrade but it improves the functionality of the pump,
>they'd pay it. Of course, I haven't submitted it yet, so we'll see if it
>really
>works, but that's what they say. I am lucky to have really good insurance, but
>it can't hurt for anyone to try.
>
>  Regarding the topic of paying for software upgrades in general, sure it
> would
>be nice for the pump companies to include them for free, but realistically
>what
>other product does that happen with? I don't know of any computer software
>(e.g., Windows, Turbotax, etc.), where you get a free upgrade when they
>come out
>with a new version. Yes, if it's to fix a bug, then it should definitely be
>free, but if it's an advance in features then I don't have a problem with
>companies charging. After all, they're a for-profit business and can't
>afford to
>give away their products. Pam

The Animas ezAccess was speaking about upgrading within the same version of
pump, IR1200.  It's not going from an IR1200 to a newer IR2000.  So, I feel
that just like upgrades within the same version of any software, they
should be free.  All upgrades are not just to fix bugs either.  And would
you consider the IOB with the original IR1200 that always figured 30%
insulin left on board, regardless of what hour setting you chose, a bug?  I
see they corrected it in the newer pumps that have the IOB-2 feature.

RoseLea