Re: [IP] Re:Insulin on Board

email @ redacted Wrote:
I agree, but what if your low when your going to eat then your pump
won't
subtract your iob. That's my main concern at school for my son.

Ricardo Responds:
IOB is only supposed to be subtracted from any correction needed to
bring you back to target. If you are low and below target then there is
no correction and IOB is not subtracted. Your pump may show the IOB for
your reference. As Pam stated, any IOB is covering a previous meal and
if you subtract it your BG may run high later on.

What I do in this circumstance is to bolus the full amount that the
pump shows but over an hours time using the extended bolus feature.
This gives the carbs I am ingesting a head start on the insulin and a
chance to raise my BG before the insulin fully kicks in. YMMV

Ricardo
Dx'd 1967, Pumping since 1/14/2004 w/ Animas IR1000 and since 7/2/2004
w/ the Animas IR1200