[IP] Re: Digest 627 - reusing lancets

> Someone once said of pilots, "there are old pilots and there are bold
pilots
> but there are not old bold pilots." Perhaps the same could be said about
the
> diabetics, especially those who have used the same lancet since 1950. Why
not
> just use a good stout crowbar? <snip>

Reading the original message that included the *since 1950* phrase was read
by moi that it was tongue in cheek with an exaggeration to make a point. The
lancets we use now were not around in 1950. The first home meter I saw was
in the late '70s, about the size of a small VCR and had to be plugged in and
warmed up. It took several minutes to be usable. I actually turned on my
heels and walked away; I was not interested in the least and didn't know
what to do with the information if I had it. I started testing in '82 in
preparation to getting a pump in '83. I used the ChemStrip bG strips. There
was a meter, but that was too expensive and insurance didn't cover meters
nor strips. We cleaned our fingers w/alcohol, poked ourselves, wiped the
first *contaminated* blood off, got a 2nd drop, applied it to the strip (cut
in half or 1/3s to save $), wiped it off after 1 min, after an add'l min
compared it to the color chart. If it read more than 240 we waited an add'l
min to do a final comparison with this method.

I had $800 worth of Visidex strips given to me and used them up, but liked
the ChemStrip bG strips better. I *hand poked* myself from '82 - '96 when I
got an Accu-Chek Complete with a Softclix in a user study.

I now do 6-14 tests a day and change my lancets each reminder day (1/1,
spring time change, 7/4, fall time change) whether I need it or not.

Jan (47 y/o if you don't count the weekends), dx'd T-1 11/5/50, pmpg
8/23/83) & Bluda II (MM508 8/31/04)
Dialyzing since 7/8/02 http://maxpages.com/bludasue -
http://www.picturetrail.com/dmBASHpics (and EVOLUTION OF INSULIN PUMPS with
World's Youngest Pumper)

Those who do not get digests have no idea what is in Digest #627. Those who
do get digests, have no idea what is referred to in Digest #627 (40k-42k
long). Please use a subject.