Re:[IP] Long Term Damage from a Finger Poke!

>>The accuracy of the alternate site glucose meters has been questioned.  I
>>just had a lab blood test and the blood glucose number from it was 14 while
>>the two meters read 13.7 and 14.7.  Obviously, this time anyway, the
>>alternate sites glucose meters were very accurate.

 I think it's not so much that the alternate site method is accurate or not,
it's
the fact that for some people, there can be a significant time lag in the
reading, such that the reading reflects where your blood sugar was perhaps ten
 to twenty minutes ago. If your blood sugar is fairly stable, this has no effect
on anything.  But especially if you're dropping, it can result in your actual
blood sugar being substantially lower than the reading.  Thus the warning all
such meters advise regarding alternate site testing, that if you suspect
hypoglycemia, or I'd add, any rapid change, either going up or going down, that
you stick to fingerstick test sites rather than the alternative sites with less
or slower blood supply.  YMMV, of course.

Peter Rowe