RE: [IP] Can someone tell me if the following is true

Cindy

In my opinion the short answer is YES.

For example - the Stats page http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/about.shtml
shows that the pumpers last MDI A1C ranged from approx 5.5 to approx 11.5
with a significant portion under 7.5

It's true that the last A1c reported AFTER starting on a pump ranges from
approx 5 to 8.5 - which is clearly better control.

But in both cases a SIGNIFICANT number of responses were in the SAME range.
In other words a pretty decent percent of the respondents had decent control
under both scenarios.  Clearly if you work at it you can get reasonably good
control with MDI.

I would love to see these kinds of stats compared against the entire insulin
dependant diabetic population at large.  In my opinion even the DCCT study
only included relatively motivated patients.  And clearly pump users are
more motivated than most.  I would like to see the A1C averages of all type
1's for comparison, even  though that would be impossible since the least
motivated will never get the a1c checked.

Doug