Re: [IP] Re: (Knit picking?)

In a message dated 1/31/03 8:36:02 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< OK Jan, I thought of you last night before falling asleep.. when does a
 person use Lying down.....and when does a person use Laying down?  I can
 never remember which is which or when one is use and not the other.  This is
 also for all those teachers out there as well.

I'm probably not the Jan you were referring to, but ...

Lie means to rest or recline

Lay means to put or to place.

You lay your book on the nightstand when you lie down on the bed.

Jan and Elvis
(believe it or not, a genuine editor)