Re: [IP] Re: "Nooooooo Aio Bobbo!"

In a message dated 1/30/03 12:06:30 AM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> > I THINK (46 years ago..) i was told, that air in the syringe
> > could cause an air bubble in my blood stream,
> > (i know, i know...we dont inject into the blood stream),
> > which could cause the heart to stop....

  But you can accidently hit a vein, which is why we were also told to
aspirate.  This has happened to me.  I didn't see the blood in the syringe
and injected 35 units of  insulin into my vein (no air bubbles, though) and
within minutes I started feeling funny, and that's all I remember until I
woke up drenched with sweat and an empty glass in my hand, my husband at the
time hovering over me scared to death.