[IP] Boca Raton, FL, PUMP SUPPORT, Feb. 13, 2003

THE DIABETES RESEARCH INSTITUTE

            University of Miami Medical School
                Invites you to the
 INSULIN PUMP SUPPORT GROUPb&
FOR PUMPERS AND WOULD-BE PUMPERS AND THEIR FAMILIES

Time: February 13, 2003
 7:00p.m.THURSDAY
Place: Whitehall Nursing Home
    Boca Raton
"We do not see things as they are.
We see them as we are."
Talmud

I was happy to receive phone calls from several members of the group who got
started! with exercising and indeed felt elated. As you read this, please
either continue your good
works, get remotivated, or even get turned on for the first time!

Even this week's Time magazine (Jan 20) is talking about what those with
diabetes have always known: "An unhealthy body can lead to an unhealthy mind,
and an illness of the mind can trigger or worsen diseases in the body." We
are reminded that it is unhealthy to "get use to" depression-especially since
it is treatable with exercise, psychotherapy, medication or some combination
of the three. (Not to mention the powers of meditation, mindfulness training,
and biofeedback).

 It is becoming even more apparent that depression is an "independent" risk
factor for aspects of diabetes or heart disease, i.e.it is harmful besides
influencing depressed people to smoke or skip medicine or have poor eating or
exercise habits. Researchers are not quite sure what the mechanism is, but
the suggestion is that depression makes the body less sensitive to insulin,
plausibly through the action of cortisol, a hormone that can interfere with
insulin sensitivity and that is often elevated in depressed patients. So,
please, get yourself or your loved ones help.

Kathi Box, territory manager of Animas Corporation and her colleague Astrid,
their website -- animascorp.com) will be sharing their latest info.

I look forward to seeing everyone. Please call me, the facilitator, Dr.Wendy
Satin Rapaport, psychologist at 561 4778595, if you need more information.

We are lucky to have Kathi Box and her co-worker Astrid of Animas Corporation
(website animascorp.com) with us to present information.