[IP] Re: skiing and diabetes

Hi Betty,
     We live in BC and ski regularly at Big White--really nice and much lower
cost than Whistler!  This morning's ski report--11 cm fresh powder, 180 cm
alpine base, light winds and temperature of only -3 degrees Celsius.
     My daughter age 8 has DM, so always skis with me or her Dad.  We use the
Ultra One Touch and have never had a problem with the temperature.  I think
it is the meter with the greatest temperature range.  I put the meter and
strips into my ski pants pocket which lies over my tummy/hip area, thus my
jacket also covers this area.  I put the poker into my jacket pocket and
leave the case in the car.  The mini-juice boxes (4 oz size) fit well into my
jacket pocket and I also have Fruit to Gos (flat fruit leather made in our
city) and granola bars for Claire.  My hips do not leave much room for
anything else, but my hubby can fit other food into his pockets. Oh yes, I
always have dextrose tabs as well.
     Claire never needs a reduced basal for skiing.  She can often go high
when skiing, I think it is the adrenalin rush from going down those steep
slopes.  The CDE in our town, where almost everyone skis, says that this is
common.  YMMV of course.  That being said, I do worry that she may go low and
get confused in the snow, and that is why I try to always have her in sight.
Always ski with a buddy on those big mountains.  Living where we do we hear
about all the snow related deaths.
     Have a great holiday!

Barbara (who has been sick for 4 weeks and unable to see the snow), Mum of
Claire 8