Re: [IP] Lack of pump - glucose sensor link

This is my conclusion. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

When I wore Medtronic's Continuous Glucose Monitoring System (CGMS) I saw
there was a great lag(1-2Hrs.) between when I pumped and when the insulin
took effect. When I pumped just before I ate my blood sugar would
balloon(300-400) in about an hour and get real low after 2-3 Hrs.. The way
we decided to address this was to try to take insulin .5 - 1 hr before
eating and use the dual bolus option. This seems to work much better.

There is no feedback loop that can predict when I'm going to eat and how
many carbs and fats I'm going to eat. Work on closing the loop between the
pump and glucose level measurements is a folly. I know there is a European
consortium working on this and probably many American companies are working
on this too. It's money that should be spent elsewhere, like finding a cure
with transplants or even an artificial pancreas.

Is there a flaw in my thinking?

Tim Murphy

----- Original Message ----- > Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 00:11:17 -0500