Re: [IP] Lack of pump - glucose sensor link

> So your saying it is to be implanted permanently(for a few years
> anyways)!

The one's for the pumps.... right. The insulin also needs to be
delivered in a manner other then subcutaneously. It has to get into
the blood stream quickly to allow the loop to be closed effiently (or
at all for that matter). I suppose that there might be a way to do it
with a sub-cu infusion set, but it would certainly be tricky if there
was a set failure or the pump was empty/disconnected. Once insulin is
automagically administered, the feedback mechanism must wait to see
if there is the expected action. With sub-cu administration this
takes a LONG time, even with insulin analogs. If the insulin is
administered directly into the blood stream or the peritonial cavity,
then results are visible in a few minutes -- that's more realistic
for a working closed loop system.

So.... the requirements appear to be
1) and implanted sensor and
2) either an internal pump, or some kind of portal device directly
into the body.

The internal pump has the drawback that it is bulky
(relative to say.... a pacemaker) and refilling it,
recharging/changing batteries, bolusing, maintenance are all a
hassle. With a portal of any kind, there is the constant risk of some
kind of infection due to permanent penetration of the skin. This
means things like swimming, dirty or infectious environments, etc....
could be a problem. None of these are show stoppers however. Pumps
can be made smaller, insulin more concentrated, etc.... There are
lots of clever engineers out there working on this and I expect we
will see product in the not to distant future.

Rember.... again.... MM has had an internal pump program for years. D
has had a portal device for years. Both have sensors that they've
been working on and improving for years. I believe similar progress
is being made by Animas. They've had a link on their website for as
long as I can remember that gives the latest status on their longterm
implantable sensor.