Re: [IP] Diabetes in Control -- wound healing

In a message dated 1/29/03  email @ redacted writes:

<< http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/issue140/item6.shtml
Glycemic Control Does Not Affect Wound Healing in Diabetics >>

<<It may be that glycemic control does affect wound healing, but only when
blood glucose levels are extremely high or low, they add.>>

OK, are there any others of you who have deliberately kept on the edge of
hypoglycemia in order to heal better?  I must have started doing it in early
adolescence, late 1950s or so.  I don't remember if I tried doing it for
actual illnesses (maybe that was just an impossibility in those days, before
home bg monitoring), but certainly did for skin wounds and infections  (I was
a klutz, went through childhood with constantly scraped knees, etc.).  It
always seemed to me if I could keep myself right on the edge of "reaction"
symptoms (that's what we called hypoglycemia in those days), my skin would
heal miraculously fast, faster than other people's, even.  I don't think it
actually works as well now, think that's why I don't usually consider doing
it (but maybe wanting to be able to function also has something to do with
why I stopped <gr.>).

Linda Z