Re: [IP] Diabetes in Control

In a message dated 1/29/03 1:13:24 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Article states...........
 Research by British scientists could offer millions of people with diabetes
 the chance to treat the condition with just one injection.
 Diabetes occurs when the pancreas contains defective cells that do not
 sufficient quantities of the hormone insulin. A shortage of insulin means
 cells do not absorb enough glucose to provide fuel and leaves excessive
 amounts of glucose in the bloodstream.
 Okay, forgive me for I feel very ignorant right now but...isn't it the
 auto-immune system that is basically 'defective' which attacks the islet
 cells of the pancreas which  causes the diabetes?  >>

So what's wrong with trying to find a cure for type 2 diabetes (in which, by
the way, the beta cells are defective)? Type 2 is primarily a disease of
insulin resistance PLUS beta cell dysfuntion. About half of our beta cells
are kaput by the time type 2 is diagnosed and they continue to die off slowly
over the course of this progressive disease.

Anyway, what the article did not tell you is that the work was done on frogs.
Yes, frogs. It's a long way from frogs to humans, people.

Jan and Elvis