[IP] Re: Diabetes in Control

<Article states...........
Research by British scientists could offer millions of people with diabetes
the chance to treat the condition with just one injection.

Diabetes occurs when the pancreas contains defective cells that do not
sufficient quantities of the hormone insulin. A shortage of insulin means
cells do not absorb enough glucose to provide fuel and leaves excessive
amounts of glucose in the bloodstream.

Okay, forgive me for I feel very ignorant right now but...isn't it the
auto-immune system that is basically 'defective' which attacks the islet
cells of the pancreas which  causes the diabetes?  I was not aware of it
being defective cells.  So if this 'shot' will give back a person's ability
to produce their own insulin again, would I be wrong in assuming that it will
only be temporary and have to be repeated because the immune system would
just attach these new 'cells' again?>

Sylvia, I've wondered the same thing myself.  There are virus theories
out there, and I'm not sure that just because the immune system attacked
itself once, it would continue to do so.  There's still a lot we don't know.
I was diagnosed Type 1 last year and have tested negative for Islet Cell and
GAD antibodies.  From what I understand from my doctors and what I've
read, this would put me in the category of Idiopathic Diabetes, which is a
fancy word for "they don't know" what caused it.  I'm 38 and don't fit the
usual profile of a Type 1 or a Type 2, and will always wonder what
triggered my Diabetes, especially since I don't have the antibodies.  For
someone like me, maybe this sort of treatment would work, but I'm not
holding my breath.  I'm sure the doctors out there will have something to
say about this?

dx'd T1 3/02, pumping 8/02