[IP] Using insulin that's left in the tubing

OK, you guys, I've read many posts on how people are able to put air into
the tubing so that they are able to use some/most of the insulin that gets
left in the tubing when it's time for a site change (does this sentence make
sense to anyone but me?  :)   I've tried to do this a number of times and
can't seem to get the air in the tubing to stay behind the insulin.  What's
the secret here?

Do I have to hook the pump to a hat so that the air stays where it's
supposed to?

Lost in Indiana.....