[IP] Diabetes in Control

One Injection Could Result In Cure For Diabetes
Scientists at the University of Bath have converted liver cells into pancreas
cells in a study that could revolutionize the treatment of the disease.

Research by British scientists could offer millions of people with diabetes
the chance to treat the condition with just one injection.

Diabetes occurs when the pancreas contains defective cells that do not produce
sufficient quantities of the hormone insulin. A shortage of insulin means
cells do not absorb enough glucose to provide fuel and leaves excessive
amounts of glucose in the bloodstream.

This can be treated with changes to diet and increasing exercise, and in more
serious cases insulin injections - although many diabetics suffer long-term

The experiments offer the potential of an alternative treatment, using just
one injection, which could overcome these complications.

The results are published in a research paper in Current Biology magazine.

The team at the university's Department of Biology and Biochemistry used
transdifferentiation, involving converting one type of cell to another.

They succeeded in converting liver cells to pancreas cells in a research
project funded by the Wellcome Trust and the Medical Research Council.

Professor Jonathan Slack, leading the team, says if further research is
positive, this method could be used as a treatment for diabetes within 10

He said: "The results from these experiments have been very encouraging. This
is the first step in the development of what could ultimately provide a cure
for people suffering from diabetes, but there is a lot more work to do."

Glycemic Control Does Not Affect Wound Healing in Diabetics
In patients diabetes, glycemic control does not influence collagen deposition
during acute wound healing.

That, according to a report published in the January issue of the Archives of
Surgery.  Findings from animal studies and in vitro experiments have suggested
that improved glycemic control is associated with enhanced wound healing in
diabetics. In contrast, in vivo human studies have yielded conflicting
results. However, it is possible that other factors often present in
diabetics, such as decreased perfusion, infection, or neuropathy, may have
influenced the findings.

In the current study, Dr. Per E. Holstein, from the University of Copenhagen,
and colleagues used a granulation tissue model to assess wound healing in 34
type 1 and 25 type 2 diabetic patients. None of the patients had evidence of
decreased perfusion, infection, or neuropathy.

Type 1 diabetics demonstrated significantly less collagen deposition during
wound healing than type 2 diabetics (p = 0.03), whose deposition capacity was
similar to that of non-diabetic control subjects.

Further analysis revealed that the decreased collagen deposition seen in type
1 diabetics was not due to enhanced collagenase activity. However, type 1
diabetics were also found to have decreased fibroblast proliferation, which
could explain why collagen deposition is reduced.

In both types of diabetics, the amount of collagen deposited was not related
to glycemic control, as determined by glycosylated hemoglobin levels, the
authors note.

The researchers note that the lack of a link between glycemic control and
collage deposition should be interpreted with caution. None of the patients in
the current study were severely hypo- or hyperglycemic and, therefore,
immediate glycemic correction was not needed. It may be that glycemic control
does affect wound healing, but only when blood glucose levels are extremely
high or low, they add.  Arch Surg 2003;138:34-40.

Symphony Diabetes Management System - Continuous Glucose Monitoring
The Symphony Diabetes Management System is a non-invasive, continuous glucose
monitor that addresses a major unmet need in the home blood glucose testing
market by offering diabetic patients painless, needle free diagnostics. This
system has the potential to improve the likelihood of patient compliance,
while significantly increasing the quality and quantity of the data that can
be obtained. Symphony consists of the hand-held SonoPrep. device, used to
permeate the skin, and a sensor/patch that when worn by the patient can detect
glucose levels and transmit continuous data wirelessly to a glucose meter.

New Product Showcase

Dave Joffe R.Ph., FACA Editor

This software is one of the best I have ever seen for kids and parents. The
interactive capacity of the software allows the users to become part of the
story. And just like in real life you can build on your experience as you
learn more about diabetes care. I found the personalization features a real
plus, being able to select how the parents and kids look and giving each real
names is great. When I shared it with some kids they all wanted a copy.

The software allows for past skill use. If the child has experience in any
area of diabetes care, they can easily skip past that part and focus on the
areas they want. Parents can return to areas whenever they want and help
reinforce certain parts to their children. This is a great piece of software
for non diabetes patients to use also. I could easily see this being used in
schools to explain diabetes to preschoolers and grade school age children who
do not have diabetes.

I shared this with 3 different families and all of them benefited from using

J.E., president of our local JDRFI chapter, and the father of a 3 yr old using
a pump had this to say:

Overall it is excellent-  from a practical, graphical and educational point of
view.  I especially like the way the 4 most important issues are outlined
several times - testing, insulin, meals and exercise. Even though my son is to
young to read, he was able to follow along and could easily understand the
message, in fact he is anxious to play.

B. R. the mother of a 9 year old added:

This has give Michael a way to show his school friends about diabetes, they
all came over to the house and Michael showed them how the software worked.
After they saw the part about sticking fingers and getting a reading they were
always asking him in school if his sugar was to high or low. It seemed that
once the kids learned about diabetes they were more concerned about Michael.

L.K. a 14 year old who has had diabetes for 8 years told me:

I wish I had this program 8 years ago, when I first was diagnosed. It was so
hard for my mom, dad and I to learn about diabetes. They tried so hard to
learn and explain things to me but there was never anyway for me to try doing
things on my own without them worrying. This software is like having virtual
reality diabetes to learn with. I would have liked to taken this to school and
show all my friends.
I gave this to 2 Educators who went through the program and both were

J. H., a nurse educator for more than 25 years stated:

I would like to use this for the parents of all newly diagnosed children. Most
times the parents dont have an easy way to learn the most important things
about diabetes and their child. They are so scared that they often forget
everything we teach them. This software is a great way for the parents to
practice and gain experience.

A.H. thought:

One of the insulin or meter companies should give this software away. They
provide us with all kinds of free literature, ink pens and squeeze balls. This
should be the software they give away. I hope dbaza makes this software for
adults. I know a lot of 65 year old computer users who have no clue what to do
once they are diagnosed. This software would be very beneficial to them.

If you would like to learn more about this amazing software visit

When diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, children and their families have a
difficult time understanding and managing the disease, said Sergey Sirotinin,
M.Sc., dbazas President and CEO.  We created this product to help them with
the process of understanding the basic principles of diabetes care and
learning the skills necessary for self-management.

Yerachmiel Bruchya haLevi Altman

[demime 0.98e removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of yerachml.vcf; charset=windows-1252]