Re: [IP] Food Poisoning and onset of DM

> This is off the regular topic about what to do when you have food
> poisoning. I was wondering if getting food poisoning has ever been
> linked to the onset of DM.  I had a bad case of food poisoning a few
> weeks before I was diagnosed with DM.

T1 DM takes many months to develop. Your beta cell capacity has to be
down to something like 20% before things typically start to get out
of hand. Note the length of time that the honeymoon lasts. Thats the
time it takes to wipe out the remaining 20% so the first 80% I would
guess takes a bit longer.

Usually what triggers discovery is an illness that drives up your
insulin requirements -- your pancreas can't supply the needed insulin
so you see the classic symptoms immediately.