From: Ryan Bruner [mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2003 1:45 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Sick with a cold

I was curious if anyone has noticed that taking typical cold medicine
seems to affect BG levels?

I've had a cold for almost 2 weeks now.  My BG levels have been running
a bit high.  After about a week of an annoying cough, I gave it and
started taking some cold medicine.  Once I did, my BG levels shot up
considerably.  Factoring in the fact that there is some carbs in the
medicine, it still seems odd how much the medicine has caused a rise.

So, just curious if anyone else has noticed this.

On a side note...this has caused me to wish that my pump had a
temporary basal ADJUSTMENT, not just a temporary basal rate.  A
temporary basal rate is no good since I have a few different basal
rates.  I would love to simply have an option to adjust all basal rates
by adding .1 units per hour, etc.  Instead, I have to create a whole
separate basal pattern, which is somewhat a pain since during illness
the amount that my basals need to be adjusted can vary from day to day.
So, to any pump manufacturers listening...  :-)