Re: [IP] normal sugars but positive ketones

At 05:00 PM 1/26/2003, you wrote:
>In a message dated 1/26/03 6:32:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>email @ redacted writes:
> > my blood sugars were still in the normal
> > range (7mmol/L here in Canada) but when my diabetes educator suggested that
> > I test my urine, I discovered that I had a 'high' reading for ketones...
> > indicating that my body was not getting enough insulin,
>How do your  numbers remain normal if your body is not getting enough

Ketones only happen for one reason (mainly) its when the body is not
getting enough energy from the blood stream (which can be lack of insulin
or lack of food) that it must resort to using itself for energy where
ketones are produced as a byproduct.  This can happen and you blood sugar
can be any number..  you blood sugar can be 120 (6.5 for you Canadians) and
you have ketones or it can be 500 with no ketones if your body is getting
enough energy.

Brian Carter
ICQ # 27217438
      *Message Boards*