[IP] re:food poisoning

Myndi,

    I suffered through a case of food poisoning shortly after I started on
the pump in December 2002. My sugars were great for someone who was
vomitting constantly. One of the things I would recommend is that you check
your urine for ketones. I had normal sugars, but was very surprised to learn
that I was in DKA. If you do have a positive ketone test, then there are a
few things you need to do... I don't know what kind of pump you have, but
the manual for my Paradigm pump came with very detailed instructions on what
to do when your sugars are normal but you have a positive ketone test, as
well as what to do when your sugars are high, etc. If you don't have
detailed instructions on what to do, basically, if your sugars are in the
normal range, you should take extra insulin and drink fluid containing
carbohydrate (popsicles worked for me). I would check with my diabetes
educator or endocrinologist first to see if they would do the same since
YMMV.

Trish