Re: [IP] On My Soap Box-OT

Amy Layfield <email @ redacted> wrote:

> OK, so maybe some people find it necessary to have sex to be happy or feel
like a "real"person. My BIL actually shot himself in the penis 2 years ago
with a .357 (major freak accident) and lost most of it and a testicle.  He
was only 28 but has manged to  get on with his life after several
operations. He is a wonderful, funny person. My SIL says that they are not
able to have relations.

What a horrible accident.  I'm glad that they're able to cope.

> I have a friend who is about 400 pounds. She lives like a hermit, afraid
to go in public, not having a job, and when she does go out, people stare.
She is a very intelligent person. I am sure that she will have some serious
health problems in the future. She is only 31.
> So knowing how dangerous it is to your health to be so overweight and the
depression that she has and the low self esteem and problems that she has in
her marraige because of her weight, wouldn't it improve her life if an
insurance company would pay for her to have a gastric bypass? Wouldn't it
save them money in the future and greaty improve her life both emotionally
and physically? The insurance company says that they do not cover anything
for weight loss.

And your point is?

> I think that it is wrong to pay for people to have sex or surgery for
implants, but not for people to lose weight and be happy and healthy. I am
sure that she would live longer,and reduce her risk of  developing Type 2
and heart problems.

I agree with you on this.  But you seem to be approaching this as an
either/or rather than a both/and.

Jim Handsfield