[IP] Physician Work Orders Medicare supplies

As far as test strips and lancets, my endo puts down that I check 10X
a day
and I get 300 lancets and test strips.  Now, given the fact that I only
change lancets once a day, those 300 last me almost an entire year!

I don't abuse what is prescribed to me and most times, I don't order
every
three months.  About the only thing I run out of fastest is the
batteries
for the pump and my test strips.

Also, since I don't have supplemental insurance, I don't overdo the
prescriptions unless they are necessary as I have to pay the 20%.

Kathy B.
[...]

This is one of medicare's most stupid requirements, at the top of
the "worksheet" that doctors must fill out, there is preprinted the
phrase term of necessity, Lifetime. The know you will need the
supplies for life but you have to get this "PWO" (Physician's
workorder) filled out each time you need stuff. An ordinary
prescription is not good enough. And there is a costly 2 part form
which requires your doc's signature. A c-peptide test which is
worthless for any determination of type 1 or 2. and some other stuff.
You need to get this filled out every time you need supplies. I cannot
understand who in blazes reviews all this damn paper and how they
decide if youy are approved or disapproved. In order to get sufficient
supplies I ask my doc to put down changes every 2 days. I guess this
gives someone a job.

A L Bender. M, D.