Re: [IP] curious questions

>>>>>>>>  I followed a rigid ADA (then) meal plan
the idea was that all products with sugar were not to be digested.
After all
these years I am very use to not eating products with sugar (also avoid
cholesterol, acidic and salty foods for other health related problems
and am a
committed vegetarian) and absolutely don't yearn for sugary foods.  I
to avoid them at all costs.  I also think it is better nutritionally
health-wise for me.  So my question, in my attempts to get up to speed
current diabetic thought is - Is the thought today that diabetics, on
can eat anything and everything and just bolus extra for it?  if so how
this work with just "regular" thoughts of good nutrition and weight

serena-- i, too, have no sweet tooth whatsoever to speak of, and generally avoid sugary foods
altogether (except for the monthly twinkie jones), so i agree with a few major exceptions:

first, my major personal problem (and a lot of other people's too) with diabetes and food was with
not sugary stuff, but complex carbs. it was frustrating to have to deal with haywire sugars
resulting from the train-wreck-like encounter between my NPH and something as simple as a piece of
bread. without the pump, it was difficult for me to adhere to even a healthy, "no concentrated
sweets" diet and keep my sugars under control.

second, "thoughts of good nutrition and weight control" certainly do not exclude the eating of
treats in moderation-- in fact, people who constantly deprive themselves of "treat" foods have
been shown to be more likely to binge on these things than people who include them as a regular,
limited part of a generally healthy diet. what the pump does is allow diabetics to eat the same
normal, healthy diet as non-diabetics-- neither of which should include "anything and everything"
in excess. the pump isn't for allowing us to eat everything in the world, it's just there to allow
us to live more normally. the "current diabetic thought" has in general rejected the ineffective
whole "no concentrated sweets and you'll be fine" theory (see above diatribe on bread) in favor of
allowing diabetics to live under the same standards as everyone else, based on a healthy diet and
carb-counting. this may include sweets from time to time, and the pumping regimen is certainly
more forgiving when it comes to the occasional craving for sweets.

if you assume a generally healthy outlook toward food, health, and eating, then yes, i suppose you
could say that the pump allows diabetics to eat anything they want with relative impunity. the
main difference between the new system of thinking and the one that you're referring to is that
the moral labeling has been removed-- no food is inherently "bad," which will (hopefully)
eventually reduce the generally warped view that's been forced on so many of us regarding food.
and when it comes to trying to live a healthy life with diabetes, i think that's a good thing.

Do you Yahoo!?