Re: [IP] re: curious: what's poutine?

In a message dated 1/23/03 3:33:40 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

 > French fries with cheese and gravy.
 > Not sure if there is more to it than that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I
 > think it originated the Quebec though.
 > It is very good :)
 i didn't like it for a long time (and me in ottawa, tsk tsk), but as long as
 it's real gravy, and fresh cut fries, i like it.
 one place on rideau street (one of the only places in ottawa to get good
 smoked meat sandwiches) used to have a smoked meat poutine.
 now, how many other people here know of beavertails?  :) >>

After wasting my time doing a search -- which is what I also had to do with
poutine -- I have come to the conclusion that it would be "polite" if people
told us what they were talking about when discussing regional foods. Or even
other colloquial 'stuff."

So, for those of you still scratching your heads, a beavertail is kind of
like an elephant ear, only with a different name. And poutine is a heart
attack waiting to happen. <g>

Jan and Elvis