Re: [IP] Arguments for the pump

Well, I'm going to play devil's advocate here.

When you are on the pump, testing 10 times a day is not unreasonable.
In fact, I would bet that the large portion of A1c improvement in many
pump users is due to increase frequency of checking and NOT from the
pump itself.  HOWEVER, the advantage the pump gives here is that when
you test, you are more likely to make any corrections immediately.  On
shots, you might decide to hold off longer to avoid an extra jab.

Next, is improving quality of life medically necessary?  This is a
serious question.  If you are planning on charging your insurance with
paying for the pump, then simply having a doctor's prescription simply
on the basis of making life easier should NOT be the responsibility of
the insurance company to pay.  Legally, they might have to...but, I
question whether it is a good enough reason, ethically speaking.  I
think diabetics are probably one of the most expensive types of
customers any insurance company can have.  We are likely responsible
for a huge amount of the cost increases in insurance.  Obviously, much
of that is beyond our control.

On the opposite viewpoint, A1c level is not the only indicator of doing
okay with diabetes.  If you achieved that 6.2 by having a lot of lows,
then that is NOT a good thing, but can be dangerous.  However, if you
achieve a 6.2 without a lot of lows, then will being on the pump
actually make things better?

Many doctors will not (and SHOULD NOT) prescribe a pump to anyone who
is not willing to work for it in terms of effort they put into their
diabetes care.  You are obviously putting a lot of effort, and so in
that regard, you are a strong candidate.  I was in a pre-pump class
with a guy who really didn't think much about his diabetes, and was
just going on the pump because it was supposed to be the thing to do.
I could tell, and so could the educator, that the pump would not be
ideal for him because he didn't work at taking care of himself...he was
just looking for the pump to do it form him.

Random thoughts to consider both yay and nay.  Obviously, most people
will tell you to do whatever you can to get a pump...but it pays to
take time to be completely objective about it.  I love being on the
pump, personally...but if I were able to attain A1cs without the pump
that I can while on the pump, I probably wouldn't have tried to get
one...it cost my insurance company several thousands of dollars for me
to get this thing, which ultimately leads to increased premiums, etc.
I try to save my insurance company money when I can because it helps
not only myself, but everyone.