[IP] re: excercise thing - the joys of being diabetic

I remember reading an article in JAMA a long time ago about the effects of
excersize on blood sugar when the diabetic begins the workout with a high
sugar.  Contrary to popular belief (at least then), the blood glucose level
would rise rather than decline due to stress on the body and an already
increased bg level.  I vary my workout each day, sometimes I run and lift,
sometimes I do kickboxing and yoga, sometimes I do aerobics.  But I do
something almost every day.  On the days that I run and lift, my blood sugar
remains quite steady with a drop during the 2-3 hours after the workout.  On
the days that I do kickboxing and yoga, I often disconnect because I can go
quite low.  On the rare day that I just lift and/or do anaerobic workouts, my
blood sugar will rise quite rapidly.  That's why I almost always try to offset
my lifting with a strong aerobic workout like a three mile run before hand.
(not to mention that it's also a great warm-up.)

In regards to the ice skating, I don't know how much you ice skate, but I know
that I only do it maybe once a year.  Therefore it's really exhilarating when
I do and I get nervous about falling and I can feel the adrenaline when I
start picking up speed and flying around the rink.  Plus, you're working your
lats and stablizers (muscles that most people rarely target) to remain upright
and steady while skating. I can't remember what my bg was after the last time
I skated, but unless you skate every day, I wonder if it's mostly the
experience and emotional/chemical response that would raise yours....  I do
remember that the last time I raced my car around the track (for the AZ folks
- PIR).  I finally took turn 9 at about 90 mph and freaked myself out (and
bruised my knee from the torque). When I was done my laps and finally did a
blood sugar, I was over 300.  But boy was it worth it...

Type 1 21 years, pumping since 10/01