Re: [IP] spam thru the pumpers list?

At 02:58 PM 1/21/03, you wrote:

>I got an email at the address I use ONLY for the IP list. It's a web page
>from apparently "email @ redacted" and the first part
>of the HTML message, in a text editor, refers to
>"www.travelagentpromos.com" and so forth.
>Some spammer appears to have picked my name from the IP membership list.
>This is not supposed to be possible - how else
>might they have gotten my name?
>In addition, it comes with a file named "VITAMINS.***", Zone Alarm has
>quarantined this by changing the prefix to ".zl9"
>My mail program doesn;t let me see if it came from the IP listserver or
>not, darnit.

A number of us have received these emails, I got three of them, one to each
address that I have had associated with IP now and in the past.  They are
not true SPAM emails, they are virus emails.  The file, vitamins.doc.exe,
is a virus file which is why your ZoneAlarm quarantined it.   While Admin
is checking into it, we believe that the sender is a member of IP who is
infected with a virus.

Volunteer IP Administrator