[IP] Skydiving with the pump (an OLD memory)

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 "Gregory Legowski" <email @ redacted> wrote:

 >As for skydiving, the other consideration would be pressure differential,
 >which other members have addressed.  I would also point out that while not
 >quite as rapid, the pressure differential encountered by skiiers or
 >snowboarders is also pretty large at times, again with no problems.

 > - --Greg, who hasn't gone skydiving.  Yet...  ;-)

WOW!  How things have changed!

When I started pumping (21++ years ago!) I was finishing what should have been my senior year at college (I had to repeat a few courses because I went blind half-way through).  After putting on the pump and regaining enough vision in one eye to 'work' I enrolled for what turned out to be my final semester and took on a part-time programming job for a parachute manufacturer doing programming.

The parachute manufacturer liked my work so much he offered to let me 'jump' using one his 'super-safety-baby-enabled-self-opening' chutes!!  When I asked my doctor (who had put me on the pump) he told me to find a NEW doctor before I jumped because he would quit the case if I was stupid enough to do this (the pumps back then had a LOT of problems running WITHOUT any outside special G forces or anything else - ask one of us old timers WHY the pump companies all advertise that THEIR pumps CAN'T run-away).

Let me know how the jump goes (I've 'aged' too much since then to try now -> my wife would probably behead me if I suggested it).

[demime 0.98e removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of yerachml.vcf; charset=windows-1252]