[IP] Re: Actonel or Fosamax

>My doctor has prescribed Actonel to help me combat the beginning of
osteoporosis. I take it once a week on an empty stomach. I have to remain
upright (standing or sitting) for sometime after it, and I cannot eat anything
for 30 minutes. Is anyone else taking this?  How does it affect T1?

Susan - I have been taking Fosamax for about 2 years and have not noticed any
blood sugar effects.  You take it the same way and so it can be a problem if
you are planning on taking it and you go low.  However I have heard that it is
not a big problem if you don't take it the exact same day every week.  It can
be kind of a pain because as soon as I take it I want to lie down because I
know I can't!  I did sometimes have some digestive problems so my dr gave me a
sample of Actonel to try as it is suppose to be easier on the digestive
system.  I haven't tried it yet.
I started menopause at age 40 and 2 years later asked my dr. for a bone
density scan as a baseline and he went along with it to humor me and it turned
out that I had enough bone loss to need to take corrective action but not
osteoporosis.  (I think one of my numbers was -2.1 and -2.5 is osteoporosis).
I had another bone density scan and the Fosamax has helped.  I just started
exercising and that should help.  I'm grateful I found out before it got worse.

Type 1 29 years - pumping 3 1/2 years