Re: [IP] Female stuff...

> She said I'd be a high risk pregnancy.
> Are all females with diabetes high risk?  Diabetes does not run into my
> family...I am the only lucky (he he) one.  For those in the same
situation, do
> your children have diabetes?

I have two children and am a type 1 diabetic myself.  If I understand
correctly, the diabetes automatically makes you high risk.  I went to a
doctor who specialized in high risk pregnancies.

I've also heard that if your A1c is 7.0 or below from six months prior to
pregnancy throughout the pregnancy, your risk of birth defects is no greater
than any other woman your age.

It is more likely, however, that your baby will be heavy.  My daughter was 9
lbs. 14 oz. at birth!

During pregnancy, the pump is a WONDERFUL help.  Your insulin needs go on a
roller-coaster ride that doesn't stop until the pregnancy is over -- and it
won't stop then, necessarily, if you breastfeed.  With the pump, those
constant changes are easier to cope with.  I had the pump during both
pregnancies, and a pregnancy without it sort of boggles my mind!

As far as the risks of your child getting diabetes, that has been discussed
here quite recently.  (Look for the thread about odds.)  Type 1 is not so
strongly tied to genetics as type 2 is.  I think your risk of passing it on
to your children are only something like 3-6% higher than the general
population, or something like that.

It does happen, diabetes in both parent and child, but it isn't something to
spend much time worrying about.  So far, my 4 year old and 9 month old are
both as healthy as they could possibly be.

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990