[IP] re: excercise thing - the joys of being diabetic

From: Shawna <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] re: excercise thing - the joys of being diabetic
>When I do aerobic, my BGs go UP and when I do anaerobic..BGs tend to go
down. Why does this happen?? anyone know for sure?? I am still fighting with
my BGs and basals and just can't seem to pinpoint what to do when!!!
in the world do I have low after low while cleaning house on the
weekend...when I
can be at 110, do aerobic excercise for an hour, then end up at 250!!!?? >
- -----------------------------------
I've also read (Understanding Insulin Dependent Diabetes) that in some
(not all) exercise will raise your blood sugar temporarily due to the
adrenaline and
other stress hormones that are released during exercise. Also some people
have different results depending on the time of day they workout - with
workouts raising the blood sugar and requiring some insulin vs.
workouts requiring reduced insulin.
I can only assume that cleaning house doesn't release any stress hormones
because it's more slow and steady and not as intense. I also tend to run
after doing housework, especially vacuuming and mopping, but this was more
a problem when I was on shots. I have stairs in my house, so I'm up and down
those a lot too while I'm cleaning.
dx'd T1 3/02, pumping 8/02>>

This must be a YMMV thing because house work always makes my blood sugar
drop but so does any kind of exercise and also shopping.....

Faith and SweetiePie, my mighty blue d-tron
diabetic 21+ years and glad to be here
pumping since 08-00