RE: [IP] Unions Call for Changes in Smallpox Vaccine Program

Denise Owens [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> Is it true that people with diabetes should not get this vaccine?

Diabetics may be vaccinated provided they do not fall into any other
contraindication categories.

>From the CDC site

"There are side effects and risks associated with the smallpox vaccine. Most
people experience normal, usually mild reactions that include a sore arm,
fever, and body aches. However, other people experience reactions ranging
from serious to life-threatening. People most likely to have serious side
effects are: people who have had, even once, skin conditions (especially
eczema or atopic dermatitis) and people with weakened immune systems, such
as those who have received a transplant, are HIV positive, are receiving
treatment for cancer, or are currently taking medications (like steroids)
that suppress the immune system. In addition, pregnant women should not get
the vaccine because of the risk it poses to the fetus. Women who are
breastfeeding should not get the vaccine. Children younger than 12 months of
age should not get the vaccine. Also, the Advisory Committee on Immunization
Practices (ACIP) advises against non-emergency use of smallpox vaccine in
children younger than 18 years of age. In addition, those allergic to the
vaccine or any of its components should not receive the vaccine."

There is, however, a higher risk of complications than most vaccines we're
used to.  Also from the CDC site:

"In the past, about 1,000 people for every 1 million people vaccinated for
the first time experienced reactions that, while not life-threatening, were
serious. These reactions included a toxic or allergic reaction at the site
of the vaccination (erythema multiforme), spread of the vaccinia virus to
other parts of the body and to other individuals (inadvertent inoculation),
and spread of the vaccinia virus to other parts of the body through the
blood (generalized vaccinia). These types of reactions may require medical
attention. In the past, between 14 and 52 people out of every 1 million
people vaccinated for the first time experienced potentially
life-threatening reactions to the vaccine. Based on past experience, it is
estimated that 1 or 2 people in 1 million who receive the vaccine may die as
a result. Careful screening of potential vaccine recipients is essential to
ensure that those at increased risk do not receive the vaccine."

Those who have been previously vaccinated have a much lower rate of
complications.  It used to be required for over seas travel.  I was last
vaccinated in 1970 during Army basic training.

Jim Handsfield