Re: [IP] Odds

> Liz Davis posted this information some time ago.  I just happened to
> have it filed for a rainy day:
>
> * If your mother has Type 1 diabetes, you have a 3% risk of developing
> Type
> 1 diabetes
> * If your father has Type 1 diabetes, you have a 9% risk of developing
> Type
> 1 diabetes

The above 2 are the high end of the probablility curve

> * If both your parents have Type 1 diabetes, you have a 30% risk of
> developing Type 1 diabetes
> * If your brother or sister develops Type 1 diabetes, you have a 10%
> risk
> of also developing Type 1 diabetes

Above does not agree with many published studies.

> * If your non-identical twin develops Type 1 diabetes, you have a 20%
> risk
> of also developing Type 1 diabetes

Fraternal twins are no different than ordinary siblings.

> * If your identical twin develops Type 1 diabetes, you have a 35% risk
> of
> also developing Type 1 diabetes

Concordance among identical twins runs 35 - 50%

See the FAQ pages for the NIH data that is taken from a number of
different studies that show similar data. Links to the orginal papers
are in the document.

Michael